The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) of the United Arab Emirates issued the second version of the technical specifications on Enabling Cell Broadcast for National Public Warning Service (UAE-Alert). It became live on November 25, 2019.
This specification defines requirements regarding the Cell Broadcast Service for all mobile devices operating in the UAE mobile networks. It stemmed from the necessity to keep high-quality communication methods and systems through the mobile networks after the development of a National Public Warning Service (UAE-Alert) that allows to spread warning alerts using the cell broadcast technologies and warn the public about emergency situations.
The document contains the following requirements:
1. The configuration of the phone should allow to receive all emergency alerts by default;
2. Warning alerts should be specially recognized and differ from ordinary messages;
3. The alert should be displayed until the user cancels it. It should be possible for the user to review the alert later;
4. The delivery of the alert should not stop an active voice or data session;
5. The mobile device should enable to perform duplicate detection;
6. It should be possible to receive alerts both in Arabic and English;
7. The alerts should be displayed without any user interaction;
8. Any capabilities to reply, forward or copy the received emergency alerts shouldn't be possible;
9. The receipt of multiple alerts should be possible;
10. The cell broadcast must be supported by GSM, UMTS, LTE, 5G, and any future radio technologies;
11. The message IDs should be in accordance with the CMAS/WEA for both the primary and the secondary language (detailed information can be found in the technical regulation);
12. Inclusion of phone numbers and URLs are permitted, and they should be clickable.
Please note that all handsets entering the UAE should comply with the above-mentioned specification starting from December 31, 2019.
The information has been prepared by the GMA Consult Group team.
GMA Consult Group provides a full cycle of international type approval and global market access services for IT, Telecom and industrial electrical products in all countries throughout the world. With proven expertise in worldwide regulations, compliance, certification, and conformity assessment, GMA Consult Group can help your company speed up the access to any market with almost zero efforts from your side.
Need your own guide to the world of certification and approvals? Don't hesitate to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.