On October 10, 2018, the Government of Canada published Regulation № SOR/2018-201 “The Amendment 14 to Canada's Energy Efficiency Regulations of 2016”.
The Amendment came into force on April 30, 2019.
The goals of the Amendment are:
1. To introduce MEPS, labeling, and reporting requirements for the following 6 new product categories:
commercial pre-rinse spray valves
metal halide lamp ballasts
small electric motors
walk-in coolers and walk-in freezers
2. To provide exemptions for the following energy-using products if, at the time of their importation, they are incorporated into another product:
3. To introduce stricter MEPS for the following 11 currently regulated product categories:
ceiling fan light kits
commercial refrigerators, refrigerator-freezers and freezers
external power supplies
fluorescent lamp ballasts
large air conditioners
large heat pumps
packaged terminal air conditioners
4. To make minor changes to existing standards, test procedures or reporting requirements for currently regulated product categories:
audio, video, and televisions
gas-fired storage water heaters and oil-fired water heaters
general service incandescent reflector lamps
large condensing units
traffic signal modules
5. To provide flexibility for testing requirements and remove import reporting requirements in limited instances where products are a component of another regulated product:
Mathematical model: allows certification bodies to align their programs with the U.S. regulatory alternative or alternate efficiency determination methods (AEDM) or other best practices
Import reporting — Incorporated products: provides a limited exception to import reporting for certain energy-using products that are incorporated in any other product
Incorporation by reference — Repeal and revoke: introduces a provision to ensure that repealed standards or test procedures continue to apply for the purposes of the Regulations.
Link to the official document is available here.
The information has been prepared by the GMA Consult Group team.
GMA Consult Group provides a full cycle of international type approval and global market access services for IT, Telecom and industrial electrical products in all countries throughout the world. With proven expertise in worldwide regulations, compliance, certification, and conformity assessment, GMA Consult Group can help your company speed up the access to any market with almost zero efforts from your side.
Need your own guide to the world of certification and approvals? Don't hesitate to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.