MexicanNational Consultative Committee on Standards for the Preservation and Rational Use of Energy Resources (CCNNPURRE) approved Official Mexican Standard NOM-029-ENER-2017 on energy efficiency of external power supplies. This NOM standard establishes minimum energy efficiency values for external power supplies (EPS) in operation as well as maximum limits to their electrical power in standby, testing methods, conformity assessment procedure, and labeling requirements.
NOM-029-ENER-2017 is applicable to the following types of PSUs:
• Fixed voltage AC/DC power supplies with a maximum output of 250W
• Variable voltage AC/DC power supplies
The Standard applies to EPSs which are imported, manufactured, marketed, distributed or supplied for sale either individually or as a part of an end-use product within the territory of the United Mexican States.
EPSs are not subject to the NOM if:
• contain a battery or a battery pack physically attached (including those that are removable) to the power supply
• have an integrated switch to select a type (or chemistry) of a battery and a light or meter that shows the state of charge of a battery
• are intended for special use as a part of equipment and apparatus that are not sold directly to the public and whose commercialization is done with business users or institutions that install and operate such equipment directly or in co-responsibility with the supplier company.
The Standard aims to establish:
• minimum energy efficiency values
• maximum limits of electric power in a non-load or vacuum mode
• test methods and evaluation
• specifications for the minimum information to be marked
Furthermore, NOM-029-ENER-2017 establishes labeling requirements for PSUs subject to this standard and marked as an individual unit but not as a part of a device or its accessory.
The label must be visible and indelible and contain the following information:
• “EFICIENCIA ENERGÉTICA” ("ENERGY EFFICIENCY")
• “Cumple con la NOM-029-ENER-2017” ("Complies with NOM-029-ENER-2017")
• The appropriate energy efficiency level V or VI in Roman numerals.
Edges of the label are not a mandatory requirement, therefore the format may vary according to a manufacturer, seller or importer. Please see an example of the label below:
The process for Energy Efficiency Approval is similar to the current NOM Safety Approval process.
The information has been prepared by the GMA Consult Group team.
GMA Consult Group provides a full cycle of international type approval and global market access services for IT, Telecom and industrial electrical products in all countries throughout the world. With proven expertise in worldwide regulations, compliance, certification, and conformity assessment, GMA Consult Group can help your company speed up the access to any market with almost zero efforts from your side.
Need your own guide to the world of certification and approvals? Don't hesitate to contact us via email@example.com.